We will be starting a little series this summer called Get a Move On – giving you ideas and ways to keep involved in the active play and movement of your child throughout the summer. Some ideas may be old hat to some of you pros – but to some of our newer moms, a little encouragement can go a long way. Here’s to encouraging and lifting up moms and dads around our community in educational and purposeful movement/play. Get out there and go get ’em!
Did you know that 1 in 4 children do not get enough physical activity in their day? In fact, over 400,000 children die each year to lack of physical activity and poor diet. It’s time to get moving – and have fun too! Here are five great ways to get your child moving and perhaps encourage you to join in on their action.
- Get outside to play – freeze tag, red light/green light, Simon Says
- Turn on the radio and dance to your favorite tunes
- Make chores fun – a race to pick up all the toys before bath time
- Rake a pile of leaves and jump in
- Do you see what I see? Take a walk and explore your street together
Sneaking in 60 minutes of activity each day can be easy. But most importantly – have fun!