Not every child is coordinated right away. Many children get frustrated in their desire to throw a ball while playing catch and the ball just doesn’t go where they intended. Help your child practice this motor skill with the following tips:
- Make sure the target is large enough to almost ensure success
- Use balls or bean bags that are small enough for your child’s hand
- Be sure your child is looking at the target and is not distracted
- Tell your child to throw hard or far
- Practice a few times before retrieving bean bags or balls
- Use teaching cues “Step…twist your belly button…and throw!”
- Positively praise each child for improvements using hand claps, smiles, high fives, etc
Next time? Catching the ball!
This is part of the Get a Move On series – keeping your child healthy through activity and movement.