To a little child, the world around them is fascinating. Their budding curiosity will help them grow in areas beyond bug catching and worm hunting. Their ability to practice scientific skills, knowledge and methods give them the confidence to wonder why the sky is blue or how a caterpillar turns into a butterfly. Check to see if your child is on track in the building blocks of science skills:
Scientific Skills & Methods
- Begins to use all five senses
- Begins to participate in simple investigations to test observations and form generalizations
- Begins to describe and discuss predictions, explanations and generalizations based on experience
- Expands knowledge of and respect for their bodies and environment
- Develops growing awareness of ideas and language related to time and temperature
Should you have any concerns about your budding scientist, please contact your pediatrician.
This is part of the Get a Move On series – keeping your child healthy through activity and movement.