Your child is a beautiful individual – special and unique in his/her own right. As your child becomes more aware that others are part of their universe, it’s important to encourage individuality as well as being part of society. Take a look at a few benchmarks below – as your child blossoms, keep track of their milestones and discuss any concerns with your pediatrician.
- Begins to develop and express awareness of self in terms of abilities and characteristics
- Develops capacity for independence in activities, routines and tasks
- Shows progress in expressing feelings, needs and opinions in difficult circumstances and conflicts without harming themselves, others or property
- Develops a growing understanding of how their actions affect others
- Increases ability to sustain interactions with peers by helping, sharing and discussing
- Shows increasing ability to use compromise and discussion in working, playing and resolving conflicts
This is part of the Get a Move On series – keeping your child healthy through activity and movement.